The Fortification System
In the area of Adamello-Brenta there are a number of forts dating back to the First World War, built on the mountains between Lombardy and Trentino. Here on Passo Tonale, the natural border between Austria and Italy, the war known as the ‘White War’ was fought. A mountain battle characterised by the climate and location and the arduous terrain.
Some of the forts can still be seen and house museums dedicated to the war. These are usually connected to the paths taken by the military, now abandoned but still visited by historians and those passionate about the mountain war.
The following shows a list of forts in this territory.
This fort was built in 1900 above Ponte di Legno in the province of Brescia, and its purpose was to protect the Italian border. The building was eventually blown up by the Germans at the end of the Second World War. There are just a few remains which can be seen today and can be reached by taking the Cable car or chair lift to Valbione.
Located on the road to Tonale just before the bridge over the Rio Strino. It dates back to 1861 and was built by the Austrians. It was forgotten about after the First World War and reciperated during the ninties. It now forms part of the network of museums containing war memorabilia and relics. There are guided tours here.
This small fort is situated just below Forte Strino and is connected to it by a concrete staircase. Currently it is not possible to visit, but what remains can be seen from the main road to Tonale after Vermiglio.
This fort was built between 1906 and 1912 in the Vermiglio valley and is located opposite Forte Zaccarana. The fort was badly damaged during the war and ultimately demolished after the war in order to recuperate iron and other materials. In 2008 the ruins were made safe. Today it can be reached on foot by way of an 8 kilometre mule track from Velon (Vermiglio).